The video game series I have put the most hours into is – without a doubt – the NCAA football franchise from EA sports. Mid July would roll around and I would pick up that game on day 1 and play the hell out of it. As everyone knows, the series stopped being produced after NCAA 14. Luckily, the game still survives thanks to community roster updates.
I just downloaded the 2019-2020 roster update for NCAA 14. I am going to sim through the season – without playing – and provide the most interesting information I can.
After the regular season played out and conference titles were decided – this was the Top 10 we were left with heading into bowl season. It is surprising to see an undefeated Texas A&M squad at the top of the polls.
- ACC – #5 Clemson – (12-1)
- American – #15 UCF – (9-3)
- Big 12 – #3 Texas – (12-0)
- Big Ten – #2 Michigan – (13-0)
- Conference USA – Tulsa – (10-3)
- MAC – Miami (OH) – (10-3)
- Mountain West – New Mexico – (8-5)
- PAC-12 – #7 Utah – (12-1)
- SEC – #1 Texas A&M – (13-0)
- Sun Belt – #15 Georgia State – (11-1)
|Zack Moss||RB||Utah||Senior||1876||305 ATT 1,943 YDS, 6.4 YPC, 22 TD, 22 REC, 342 YDS, 2 TD|
|Sam Ehlinger||QB||Texas||Junior||1430||203/298, 68%, 3,177 YDs, 36 TD, 10 INT, 160 ATT, 622 YDS, 12 TD|
|Travis Etienne||RB||Clemson||Junior||777||218 ATT, 1,521 Yds, 7 YPC, 14 TD, 22 REC, 295 YDs, 2 TD, 1 KR TD|
|Kellen Mond||QB||Texas A&M||Junior||334||230/374, 62%, 3,467 YDS, 45 TD, 3 INT, 79 ATT, 154 YDS, 2 TD|
|Brian Herrien||RB||Georgia||Senior||232||312 ATT, 1,629 YDS, 5.2 YPC, 13 TD, 34 REC, 398 TDS, 3 TD|
- I think I have to disagree with the voters on this one. There is no way you can ignore the season that Kellen Mond had. Not only did he put up incredible numbers, he also led A&M to an SEC title and #1 ranking. In real life he would get the Heisman here.
Other Notable Players
|Trevor Lawrence||QB||Clemson||Soph.||260/386, 4,051 YDS, 44 TD, 5 INT|
|Tua Tagovailoa||QB||Alabama||Junior||187/297, 2,798 YDS, 37 TD, 13 INT|
|Jalen Hurts||QB||Oklahoma||Senior||214/424, 2,715 YDS, 23 TD, 16 INT, 167 ATT, 797 YDS, 11 TD|
|Justin Herbert||QB||Oregon||Senior||235/382, 3,438 YDS, 29 TD, 5 INT|
|Khalil Tate||QB||Arizona||Senior||244/408, 3,578 YDS, 35 TD, 10 INT, 136 ATT, 530 YDS, 5 TD|
- Trevor Lawrence likely wins the Heisman without the early regular season loss from Clemson.
College Football Playoff
If there were a College Football Playoff in this game – there are three teams that would for sure be in: Undefeated SEC Champ Texas A&M, Undefeated Big Ten Champ Michigan, and Undefeated Big 12 Champ Texas. The Debate would come down to three teams: Alabama (11-1), Clemson (12-1), and Utah (12-1).
- Alabama: Suffered their lone loss of the season on September 14th against #1 Texas A&M. Did not participate in a conference championship game.
- Clemson: Suffered their lone loss of the season in their opener to #12 Georgia at home on August 31st. Won the rest of their games by at least two touchdowns and beat #19 Virginia Tech in the ACC Championship game.
- Utah: Suffered their lone loss of the season on September 14th against unranked Oregon State at home. Won the rest of their games, including defeating #23 Stanford in the PAC-12 Championship.
With all of that considered, it is really hard to believe that Alabama would not be a playoff team – even though they are not a conference champion, the only loss they had was to the #1 team and an undefeated SEC Champion. The CFP would look like this:
- Texas A&M
CFP Semi Finals
Peach Bowl – #4 Alabama at #1 Texas A&M
Texas A&M dominated the game from the start – putting up a 27-3 lead heading into half time. The second half was a different story, as Alabama worked the A&M lead to just 6 points with 52 seconds left. Alabama was unable to recover the onside kick, sealing a 40-34 victory for A&M. The difference in this game was the turnovers, A&M intercepted the ball 4 times and recovered 2 fumbles.
- Tua Tagovailoa – QB – Bama – 28/41, 366 YDS, 3 TD, 4 INT
- Kellen Mond – QB – AM – 26/35, 192 yds, 2 TD, 1 INT
Fiesta Bowl – #3 Texas at #2 Michigan
Texas jumped out to an early lead and went into halftime with a 29-13 lead. Jim Harbaugh and the Wolverines made a few adjustments at halftime and outscored Texas 34-0 in the second half. Michigan took home the victory with a score of 47-29.
- Shea Patterson – QB – Mich – 25/32, 222 YDS, 2 TD, 2 INT
- Sam Ehlinger – QB – Texas – 28/38, 246 YDS, 2 INT, 27 ATT, 90 YDS, 1 TD
- Zach Charbonnet – RB – Mich – 25 ATT, 115 YDS, 1 TD
#2 Michigan at #1 Texas A&M
Texas A&M went into halftime with a 20-10 lead. Michigan outscored A&M 20-3 in the second half. Michigan won 30-23 with a rushing touchdown from Zach Charbonnet as time expired.
- Kellen Mond QB AM – 29/44, 289, 2 TD, 2 INT
- Shea Patterson – 36/48, 329 YDS, 1 TD
If things play out like this in real life…Jim Harbaugh finally wins a National Championship, Jimbo Fisher wins the SEC with A&M, and a Ute wins the Heisman for the first time.
As long as we don’t have to watch Alabama vs Clemson again, I’m in.