A projection of the Seahawks roster following a win against the Oakland Raiders to finish the preseason 3-1. This is a guess as to what the Seahawks WILL do, not what I think they SHOULD do.
Here we go:
1) Russell Wilson
2) Geno Smith- Geno was the more consistent player in games and throughout camp but he did leave the 4th preseason game early. Barring this injury being serious, he’ll be the backup.
Cut: Paxton Lynch – Had one brilliant game against his former team but other than that has really struggled.
This is the toughest group. Will the Seahawks keep 3 or 4 here?
3) Chris Carson
4) Rashaad Penny
5) CJ Prosise: If you would have said this a week ago I would have laughed. CJ balled out and looked unbelievable in the third and fourth preseason games. He has been out with injuries far more often then not in his career in Seattle. But they obviously have kept him around for a reason. His talents are off the charts.
Cut: JD McKissic – He’s a veteran weapon but did not show enough to earn a spot.
BOLD PREDICTION: The Seahawks will end up trading Prosise and keeping Homer. But as is, this is the group we go with.
6) Tyler Lockett
7) Jerron Brown
8) DK Metcalf
9) John Ursua: The Seahawks 7th round pick showed enough to make this team and clearly has Russell Wilson’s eye. That matters.
10) David Moore: Moore has a bone fracture in his elbow, but according to reports may only miss week one before being back. No danger of being on IR or cut here.
Cut: Gary Jennings: It sucks to cut a 4th round pick but Gary Jennings simply has shown nothing on the field in any of the preseason games. I don’t watch practice obviously and maybe he tears it up there but based on what we know Gary doesn’t deserve to make this team.
Cut: Keenan Reynolds: One of Russell’s favorites but just isn’t polished enough to be a full time WR and make the team.
Cut: Jazz Ferguson: Jazz flashed big play potential but also had some drops. He’s a project and a good candidate for the practice squad should he clear waivers.
11) Duane Brown
12) Mike Iupati
13) Justin Britt
14) DJ Fluker
15) Germain Ifedi
16) Ethan Pocic – I can’t stand Ethan Pocic, but he played well at left guard, especially run blocking. They’ll keep him which I think is a mistake.
17) George Fant – Apparently very close to being back from the ankle sprain
18) Jordan Simmons: Showed enough last season to earn a look this year. Looked good before getting injured.
IR: Phil Haynes – Phil will make the team as the Seahawks loved him prior to the injury. He’ll go on IR and be eligible to return after week 6.
20) Nick Vannett
21) Jacob Hollister
Cut: Ed Dickson – Ed never got healthy and look for the Seahawks to part ways with him and add $3M in cap space.
22) Jarran Reed: see below
23) Ziggy Ansah
24) Jacob Martin
25) Cassius Marsh
26) Poonah Ford
27) Quinton Jefferson
28) Rasheem Green
29) LJ Collier
30) Al Woods
(?) Earl Mitchell: If Reed can go on some kind of suspended list while injured, Earl will make the team. If not and Reed needs to be on the 53, Earl gets cut.
Cut: Barkevious Mingo – Can’t rush the passer. Which is what Seattle needed him to do.
31) Bobby Wagner
32) KJ Wright
33) Mychael Kendricks
34) Cody Barton
35) Austin Calitro
36) Shaqueem Griffin
Practice squad: BBK
37) Shaq Griffin
38) Tre Flowers
39) Ugo Amadi
40) Bradley McDougald
41) Tedric Thompson
43) Deshawn Shead
44) Lano Hill
45) Marquise Blair
46) Tyler Ott
47) Michael Dickson
48) Jason Myers
I feel pretty confident in a majority of those 48 players. Now we’re down to the last five:
49) Travis Homer RB: There’s enough there to keep him, especially if the plan is to keep Prosise as well..
50) Jamar Taylor CB: Outplayed Akeem King at the Nickel and makes the team.
51) Branden Jackson DL: He’s a good rotation DL. He should be safe.
52) Neiko Thorpe CB: Another guy that do a lot of things in the secondary and on ST
53) Joey Hunt C: Plays his ass off and can play multiple spots on the Offensive Line.